Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Alvin

On hearing the news
That his death was upon him
The man grinned a grin
And his eyes told a tale.
"This life's gotten hard,
In its myriad facets
I find myself fumbling
And ready to fail.
I love my wife dearly;
I'm happy to visit; 
My Lord is a-comin';
I hope you don't mind
But soon I'll be boarding
The train bound for glory.
Thanks much for your visits
You've really been kind."
Next week he was napping
And soon after sleeping
And then he was lying;
The twinkle was gone.
And so was dear Alvin;
His lifetime was ended.
His future beginning,
Eternity won.

4 comments:

Bike Bubba said...

I hope my last words ring like that!

John said...

Nicely done

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Thanks. One day I will greatly look forward to dying. I hope it's not for a good long while.

Bike Bubba said...

My granddad went a bit like that. He made sure all of the grandkids got to say good bye, and we finagled a time when he'd get to feel the sun on his face, and he then told my grandmother she'd better call the mortuary. Within a day, he was gone, and Connie and I got to spend our tenth anniversary burying his body.