Thursday, April 14, 2016

Pilate: A Good Friday Sonnet

These pompous Jew beggars coming to me before sunrise
As if I was some kind of hit man for hire. Well, surprise!
This Roman isn't too interested in playing that game.
They walk in, filthy and reeking of their food, with proud eyes.
Restraining themselves out of fear, but spitting that one name...

Jesus: You don't get him dead? You'll be the one who gets blamed.”

Can I ignore them? No, damn it. There's no way to tell
What they might do. They might rebel. But I'd make their lives hell.
Well, here's the thing: I'll see the man and I'll take his measure.

Bring him unto me, this Jesus. It will be my pleasure.”

I'll ask the questions. I'll make this Jew see the light.
I am Pilate and should be feared,... everyone knows that, right?

Hello there brave Galilean. What brings you here today?
What, cat got your tongue? Haven't you some begging words to say?
Well?....”


No comments: